Any working site or construction site must have safety procedures in place. When large machinery, such as a mobile crane, is involved, further precautions are required. Accidents involving these vehicles might result in serious and even fatal effects. Thankfully, many of these can be avoided if proper safety precautions are implemented and followed. The procedure should begin well before you begin any lifting work. You should start by creating a strategy for setting up a mobile crane. You should follow certain instructions for safe crane installation. If you are considering crane installation in UAE, then this guide might be of some help to you.
What are mobile cranes?
Mobile cranes are built to lift and lower structures and move them horizontally using a series of simple machines. Many construction firms find this type of crane to be a budget-friendly rental choice because it can quickly be transported from one place to another. Mobile cranes can raise and carry heavy items over short distances and assist in the construction of larger tower cranes.
The steps for mobile Crane installation
You will be on the right track if you take the next few moves.
- The majority of the hard work occurs on setup and lifting day, contrary to popular belief. That, however, is not the case. The majority of the work should be completed long before the crane arrives on site for installation. This is how you ensure the lift's success while still keeping everyone safe. Try not to hurry any of the steps in this procedure. Instead, you can begin planning for the crane's installation as soon as possible.
- When you begin planning, you must first learn about all of the official standards and procedures that must be followed. Depending on your position, the layout of the site, and other factors, there might be some variations. There are, however, general OSHA and ASME guidelines that everyone must adhere to.
- The equipment must not be installed or used until the ground conditions are solid, drained, and graded to the extent that the equipment manufacturer's requirements for adequate support and degree of level of the equipment are met, in accordance (if necessary) with the use of supporting materials. Marshes and wetlands are exempt from the requirement that the field is drained. (1926.1402(b))
- The controlling body must: Ensure that the ground preparations required to meet this section's paragraph (b) are made available.
- If such hazards are defined in records (such as site plans, as-built drawings, and soil analyses) in possession of the controlling entity (whether at the site or off-site) or the hazards are otherwise known to that controlling entity, inform the user of the equipment and the operator of the position of hazards under the equipment set-up area (such as voids, tanks, and utilities).
- If there is no controlling body for the project (1926.1402(c), the contractor with authority at the site to make or arrange for ground arrangements required by paragraph (b) of this section must meet the requirement in paragraph (c)(1) of this section.
- Suppose the A/D director or operator decides that ground conditions do not meet the requirements in paragraph (b) of this section. In that case, that person's employer must have a conversation with the controlling body about the ground preparations that are required so that the requirements in paragraph (b) of this section can be met with the use of appropriate supporting materials/devices (if necessary).
- This section does not apply to cranes built for use on railroad tracks that are part of the general railroad system of transportation operated by the Federal Railroad Administration under 49 CFR part 213 and meets all relevant Federal Railroad Administration specifications.
- It is hard to underestimate the relevance of hiring a reputable crane rental company. You should look for a company that has an established track record and hires qualified and accredited employees. In addition, the firm should have elevated, well-maintained cranes.
- A lift plan is a text that lays out all of the instructions for the lift in detail. It will contain information such as the following:
- The mass of the load
- Diagrams of lifting
- The names of the individuals involved.
In most cases, the crane rental company would be in charge of creating a suitable lift schedule. The site's admin would have to provide them with all of the necessary details. You should have all of the details you need to create a crane installation process.
- Among the first things you will need to figure out is where you will put the crane. You'll want to choose a spot where the crane can easily hit the load and complete the lift. Apart from that, make certain that all of the equipment can fit into the free land. If you've decided on a place, keep it clean and tidy, and clearly label it.
- Along with this, you should inspect the soil in this place. Some people use a portable Dynamic Cone Penetrometer, while others consult a geotechnical engineer. You must determine if the ground meets the following requirements:
- It is necessary to drain the soil.
- It should be of sufficient bearing power.
- It is necessary to compact the soil.
- There should be no dangers under the surface.
If the soil/ground condition in your chosen location is poor, but you can't move the crane, you'll need to resolve and strengthen the soil.
- The problems we've discussed aren't the only ones that could damage the ecosystem. Look for something that might obstruct your route. Also, look for something that the crane might harm or cause damage to the crane and its operators. Power lines and other overhanging structures are a common problem. This should be factored into the crane installation process.
- One of the most important aspects of the setup process is to ensure that you employ the appropriate equipment and materials. To determine if a crane is suitable, consider features such as mobility, power, and the length of its boom and jib. To help the vehicle, you'll need to get the right outrigger pads, crane pads, and crane mats. It must function for the particular vehicle, the load's weight, the soil's condition, and weather conditions such as wind.
- You must hammer out all the information about access as part of designing a mobile crane installation process. You must make arrangements with the appropriate parties to ensure that the crane rental company can access the premises. Aside from that, you will want to make sure the crane's path is clear.
- Another essential factor to remember is the installation plan. You must determine who will be in charge of what. You must also decide who will be in charge if anything goes wrong. Keep in mind that the work site's manager and employer bear the brunt of the obligation. Everyone must be aware of the work schedule plan during installation.
- You wouldn't want a surgeon to go into an operation without thinking about it or planning ahead of time. Similarly, you should not rush into a lift job without first doing some research. The results, in either case, may be fatal.
Mobile cranes are effectively used all over the world regularly thanks to careful planning. You can safely and effectively complete any lift with the right crane and the right team (as well as the proper mobile crane installation operation).