Table of contents
- What is a gantry crane
- Features of gantry crane
- Uses of gantry crane
- Types of gantry crane
- How to choose the right gantry crane for your business
If you are someone who is into construction, you must be familiar with the term crane. Cranes have made our lives more comfortable and convenient. The heavyweights can be lifted and handled with ease and efficiency. It saves time and is a productive investment for the business. These are of different types and are used for various purposes.
What is a gantry crane?
If you are looking for equipment that can fit into a small space and do your lifting job with the same ease and convenience, then all your worries are sorted with a gantry crane. A gantry crane is a crane used to lift objects by a hoist fitted atop a gantry and can move horizontally on a rail fitted under a bean. It is a necessary object handling equipment for industries. It is mostly used for lifting small or large items indoors and outdoors. It moves on wheels or along the track or rail system. So, if you are looking to invest in a gantry crane, this information can be of great use to you.
Features of gantry crane
A gantry crane is different from an overhead crane in terms of the spectacular features that it posses.
- It comes with manual operation choices and full remote control.
- It requires less maintenance and has a consistent performance.
- It is super easy to install. Operate and maintain. It has a simplified and straightforward structure.
- It has a wide range of applications and can come in handy both outdoors and indoors.
- The best part is it does not harm the environment during the production process. It is environmentally friendly.
- It is highly efficient with low maintenance cost and noise.
- It works smoothly and steadily from starting till ending.
- They are quite flexible and adjustable, which makes it convenient to place luggage around doorways.
Uses of gantry cranes
Gantry cranes have a wide range of applications owing to their high efficiency and performance. They can work well both under indoor and outdoor settings. They are used in indoor places like warehouses, workshops, garages, maintenance, and manufacturing units. In outdoor settings, they can be used in the port, yard, freight, shipyard, dock, etc. some of the uses of gantry cranes in industry include-
- Construction- gantry cranes, are used at construction sites. They are used to lift heavy loads and materials involved in construction.
- Warehouse- gantry cranes also help in lifting heavy objects from the warehouse.
- Shipbuilding- they are majorly used in the shipbuilding industry. Shipbuilding involves lifting heavy loads and materials, which can be quickly done by gantry cranes. The crane helps in the movement of the ship in the construction stage.
- Production- gantry cranes, are also helpful in the production units. They help move parts from one place to another.
- Automotive- in the automotive industry, gantry cranes are used for lifting the car engine from the vehicle.
Types of gantry cranes
There are different types of gantry cranes available, depending on the structure and the application. Let’s discuss the different kinds of gantry cranes below.
- Full-gantry crane- this is one of the most popular and most widely used cranes. It has two legs that move along the fixed rails. It allows vehicles to pass very easily. It usually works in a dedicated area. It is generally armed with a secondary hook.
- Semi-gantry crane- this has one leg running along a rail while the other leg runs along a runway system fixed on a wall. It is convenient for those who have less or confined working space as it does not require too much space.
- Portable-gantry crane- this is a light and flexible crane system that can be carried and assembled easily on different sites as and when required.
- Adjustable gantry crane- this crane can be adjusted as per requirement. It can be portable or fixed. It comes with variable height and design.
How to choose the right gantry crane for your business?
Gantry cranes are a popular alternative to the overhead bridge crane. These are usually available in spans up to 150 feet and cost less than a bridge crane. Before investing in any gantry crane, it is necessary to understand the factors that affect the choice. Investing in any crane kind can improve your efficiency, operations, productivity, and increase worker’s safety. Below we discuss some of the factors that must be considered when choosing the right gantry crane.
- Efficiency- always opt for a gantry crane that can be easily used in your facility and enhances productivity.
- Durability- choose the gantry crane as per the capacity of your load and material. Also, look for the durability factor. A general gantry crane is used for heavy-duty usage. Dongqi gantry crane adopts quality parts and components to ensure the gantry crane’s safety and operating personnel.
- Usability- choose the crane keeping in mind the purpose for which it is used. A warehouse may require a small gantry crane, while a shipyard might require a heavy-duty lifting crane.
- Size and space- also, analyze the space or area for which the crane is being used. Ensure the gantry crane will be the right size for loading and unloading operation.
- Wheel tread- one must also consider the slope, direction, and surface of where the gantry crane will travel.
- Crane safety is also a very important aspect for choosing the right gantry crane.
Gantry cranes are designed to handle heavy-weight objects and provide an efficient means of lifting or moving loads and materials. Moving or lifting heavy equipment need not be expensive or permanently changing. Through gantry cranes, they can be easily relocated. They can be assembled and disassembled easily and quickly, making them ideal for use in multiple work areas or rented facilities.